Treatment will be tailored to your individual needs. Most treatment plans include medication and lifestyle changes.
Medications may include:
- folic acid
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, which are antidepressants that may also help neurons grow and reestablish connections in the brain
- calcium channel blockers for short-term cognitive function
- angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors to lower blood pressure
Herbal supplements have grown in popularity as treatments for MID. However, not enough studies have been done to prove that their use is successful. Examples of herbal supplements that are currently being studied for use in treating MID include:
- Artemisia absinthium, or wormwood, which is used to improve cognitive function
- Melissa officinalis, or lemon balm, which is used to restore memory
- Bacopa monnieri, or water hyssop, which is used to improve memory and intellectual function
Be sure to discuss these supplements with your doctor before taking them, as they can interfere with other medications.
Other options for treatment include regular exercise to build muscle strength, cognitive training to regain mental function, and rehabilitation for mobility issues.